Located in Chicago, 663 W. Grace Street condominium association was sold on April 6, 2021 and will be converted into apartments. KSN handled the closing of this 80 residential unit condominium association deal during a peak real estate boom and coronavirus pandemic.
The sale of all units, commonly known as a deconversion, was approved by a vote of the unit owners under Section 15 of the Illinois Condominium Property Act and the Municipal Code of Chicago. Approval of this transaction required approval of 85% of the ownership.
KSN represented 663 W. Grace Street throughout the Section 15 sale. Purchased for $13.85 million, this transaction is the largest condominium deconversion sale in the Lincoln Park and Lakeview area in the last year. The purchase encompasses the entire condominium building consisting of eighty (80) residential units (40 studios, 40 1Bd/1Ba) and forty (40) parking spaces.
KSN attorney Kelly Elmore: “For this particular deconversion, the condominium building had multiple tours and offers. As with all deconversion sales, this building had some unique challenges throughout the process. Nevertheless, our law firm focused on working efficiently and accurately on behalf of the sellers.”
KSN attorney Omar Malik: “Section 15 sales are very complex real estate transactions. COVID-19 has only added more obstacles. However, we were able to work with the buyer, the broker, and sellers to overcome the current, unprecedented conditions and complete this sale in a smooth, timely fashion.”
A final comment from an association board member: “I am super impressed at [KSN’s] abilities to navigate everything we encountered during this process. I was sure the whole thing was dead…You guys are like an elite highly specialized Seal Team Six of lawyers going after the toughest most dangerous tasks in the world. [KSN] made it happen and for that we are super grateful.”
As of April 2021, KSN attorneys have closed over sixty condominium deconversions, including:
- Deerfield Gardens Condominium Association – a Lake County, IL condominium association with 36 units, closed in July 2020
- River City – a downtown high rise-condominium association with 449 units, closed in December 2018
- Flats on LaSalle – a downtown condominium association with 250 units, closed in December 2018
- Surfside Condominium Association – a high-rise association located on N. Sheridan with 188 units, closed in December 2018
- Century Tower – a downtown high-rise condominium association located in The Loop with 296 units, closed in February 2018
- 625 Wrightwood – a Lincoln Park condominium association with 98 units (residential and parking), closed in January 2017
- Clifton Village – a Northside Chicago condominium association with 38 residential units, closed in August 2017
- Loyolton – a Northside Chicago condominium association with 42 residential units, closed in December 2017
- 2625 N. Clark Street – a Northside Chicago condominium association with 272 units (residential and parking), closed in November 2016
If your condominium association has been approached by an interested buyer, your association is in the middle of a potential sale or de-conversion, or you are a buyer interested in converting income property into condominiums, please contact KSN to discuss your legal needs. Please visit www.ksnlaw.com or call 1-855-537-0500.
Since 1983, KSN has been a legal resource for condominium, homeowner (HOA), and townhome associations. We have four office locations, serving hundreds of clients and thousands of communities throughout Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin. Our attorneys are also licensed in Arizona, Florida, and Missouri.
Please note the material contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is established by your review or receipt of the information contained in this article. You should not act on the information discussed in this article without first obtaining legal advice from an attorney duly licensed to practice law in your State. While KSN has made every effort to include up-to-date information in this article, the law can change quickly. Accordingly, please understand that information discussed in this article may not yet reflect the most recent legal developments. Material is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. KSN reserves the right to revise or update the information and statements of law discussed in the article law at any time, without notice, and disclaims any liability for your use of information or statements of law discussed on the article, or the accessibility of the article generally. This article may be considered advertising in some jurisdictions under applicable law/s and/or ethical rules/regulations. © 2021 Kovitz Shifrin Nesbit, A Professional Corporation.